[systemd-devel] unused translations in git

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Jul 25 12:29:53 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 09:20:35PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 22.07.13 05:51, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > so it seems to me, we use gettext to translate the PolicyKit policy
> > files, but we do not actually enable/ship them, as the po files are
> > not added to po/LINGUAS.
I guess the polish-speaking-systemd-community, which is surprisingly
large, could try to update the Polish translation, and start shipping
it in the next release and see what happens.

> > Admittedly, it's currently only a single translation (Polish), so I
> > was wondering what the intention here is. Do we want systemd to be
> > translated? If so, should we reach out to translator get a broader
> > coverage of languages?
>
> Well, I guess translation of the tools and PK policies is probably
> inevitable. We should be careful though, for example, I'd rather not see
> gettext being used within PID 1.
>
> l10n isn't really something I personally care about too much, so we rely
> on community patches to make this work. Patches welcome.
>
> I am a bit afraid of eventually having to merge a large stream of
> translation patches however.
Frankly, I don't see too much of a problem. The worse that can happen
is that some language has inferior translations. We already have "large"
patches with hwdb updates.

> Would love to the use some platform like
> Transifex for this, but given that they don't properly attribute their
> git commits to the original authors (or has that changed now?) I am not
> sure it would be a good idea as-is.
Something like that would be great.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk