[systemd-devel] systemd fails to build with static kmod library

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Jun 2 10:36:42 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 07:28:57PM +0200, Stephan Raue wrote:
> Am 02.06.2013 18:56, schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
> >El 02/06/13 11:06, Stephan Raue escribió:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>systemd fails to build with using a statically libkmod.a:
> >
> >Sure it does, there is memdup, path_is_absolute and
> >path_make_absolute_cmd symbols defined in systemd and kmod.
> >
> >As static libraries do not have symbol visibility, you will get
> >collisions as expected.
> >
> ok, who is responsible for this? kmod or systemd?

Both.

> >Do not use static linking, with systemd, ever, in fact do not use
> >with any other component.
> >
> i dont agree, i some cases it makes sense. since udev is included in
> systemd and udev has now its own buildins for the modprobe stuff it
> should be possible to use kmod statically linked, esp. if no other
> installed program uses kmod (and for our usage the kmod userspace
> binarys are not neccessary)

Then if you feel you really want to statically link these, you need to
fix up the errors yourself, as it's _strongly_ not recommended that you
do this by everyone else.

If you are so worried about other programs / users calling kmod, then
just build your needed kernel modules into the kernel and don't use any
kernel modules at all.

Good luck,

greg k-h