[systemd-devel] Please proof-read: systemd’s dependencies and installation footprint

Michael Stapelberg stapelberg at debian.org
Mon Jun 10 11:31:02 PDT 2013

Hi Lennart,

Thanks for your feedback.

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:
> If Debian is interested in making systemd minimal, they could split out
> logind and loginctl, since that is something you need that only for
> systems where users or admins log into. For embedded devices it's
> totally optional.
Noted.

> It might be interesting to mention which of the libraries systemd
> depends on are actually in Debian's "essential" and "required"
> priorities, and hence are nothing that systemd would pull in but
> something that one cannot install Debian without anyway. For example,
> libpam, libselinux, libattr all are afair.
I touched on this in the accompanying blog post, see below:

For the record, the dependency list and first blog post of the series
are published by now, find them at:

http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2013/06/09/systemd-bloat.html
http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html

> systemd-shutdown is not statically linked.
Fixed.

> The readahead, bootchart, nspawn, activate, analyze, cgls/gtop stuff is
> something debian could still split off, btw, if they really wanted to
> (not that I would recommend that, but well...).
Noted.

--
Best regards,
Michael