[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] When you commit something...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 4 06:51:18 PST 2013

Heya,

if you commit something and it was previously posted on this ML, then
please please make sure to reply to the mail on the ML that you commited
it -- even if the original mail was your own! A short reply just saying
"Commited." is totally sufficient. For patch series make clear if you
committed only individual bits, or all of them.

I am currently fighting against the backlog of unreviewed patches on
the ML, and it would help me greatly if I could easily determine if
something is already committed anyway.

[ For those wondering, our general patch application policy is the
  following: there are 16 people now with commit access. They are
  welcome to commit what they see fit, but should be careful, of
  course. In general we have some generalists who are welcome to commit
  anything they want, and some folks who focus on some areas. If you do
  not have commit access please send your patches for review to this
  ML. If you have commit access but you are unsure about something,
  please also post this to the ML. Alternatively post your patches to fdo
  bz or to rhbz (the latter only if your work has direct relevance to
  fedora/rhel or you are a fedora/rhel user). Usually sending things to
  the ML will give you quicker reviews, though. There are a few folks
  who scan the ML for unreviewed patches, especially before we prepare
  releases. Patches tend to get two or three reviews in our process:
  firstly when it is posted on the ML, if it is. Then, generalists such
  as Kay and Lennart are subscribed to the commit ML, and review
  whatever comes through there, and sometimes revert things (this
  happens, and it happens to the best, so don't be put off by that. I
  have myself reverted a couple of my own patches this way...). Shortly
  before a release I will scan the commits since the last release again,
  reviewing the final time, while preparing the NEWS file.

  This scheme currently works quite well, though I must admit that the
  number of unreviewed patches is a bit too long right now... ]

And that's all for now, please get hacking again!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.