[systemd-devel] Binary launched in ExecStartPre gets killed...

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Mar 4 13:20:21 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:01:01PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 04.03.13 15:25, Belal, Awais (Awais_Belal at mentor.com) wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > So how do i write such a service i.e. when A starts B should be
> > started first and when A is stopped B should be stopped as well. I am
> > really new to this so any pointers here would be really helpful. I
> > understand that this is a very basic question but I am very new to
> > this...
>
> In this case write two normal .service files for these services. Then,
> to link them together Add "BindTo=" to their [Unit] sections, pointing
> to the other unit. This would then make sure, that if one is started,
> the other is too, and if one is stopped the other is too, and both would
> be equivalent (are they really? usually they aren't, but you description
> above suggests two services where one cannot exist without the other,
> and vice versa...). In addition to that add "After=B.service" to
> A.service. (or, alternatively, "Before=A.service" to B.service, which
> would be equivalent.) Please note that ordering deps are orthogonal to
> requirement deps. That means that "BindTo=" does not imply ordering, and
> hence you need both 'BindTo=' and 'After=' (or 'Before=') in the [Unit]
> sections...

  Lennart, I think we need a blog entry with clear description how to handle
situations when service consist of multiple units.  Some clear recommendation
when to use BindTo=, PartOf=, targets and such.  Pretty please :)

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev