[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 198

Holger Winkelmann hw at travelping.com
Fri Mar 8 01:26:38 PST 2013

HI,

> >>         * Resource limits (as exposed by the various control group
> >>           controllers) can now be controlled dynamically at runtime
> >>           for all units. More specifically, you can now use a command
> >>           like "systemctl set-cgroup-attr foobar.service cpu.shares
> >>           2000" to alter the CPU shares a specific service gets. These
> >>           settings are stored persistently on disk, and thus allow the
> >>           administrator to easily adjust the resource usage of
> >>           services with a few simple commands. This dynamic resource
> >>           management logic is also available to other programs via the
> >>           bus. Almost any kernel cgroup attribute and controller is
> >>           supported.
> >
> > Can you explain how the settings for a particular units are persistently
> > stored. Does systemd write back such values into the particular unit, or
> > are they stored somewhere else? The reason why I'm asking is the facts
> > that stuff like this strives the configuration management functions of
> > a Linux system.
>
> i would say it is NOT the intention to touch the systemd-unit
> you have to edit this by yourself, but the dynamic way gives
> you a way to get this changes active without restart the service

Yes, fine, thats why I'm asking about where the:

"These settings are stored persistently on disk" goes to. If yo have such
setting somewhere else as back in the unit, how do you know those settings
exists. If they go back into the unit you obviously overwrite the bootstrap
default setting in the unit... may it goes into the sytemd/unite.service.d/ ?

Feedback would be welcome ;-)

--
Holger Winkelmann
email: hw at travelping.com