[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck-root.service without initrd prints ugly message on clean fsck

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Wed Mar 13 09:30:48 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

>> so and what are you guys saying if i explain you that
>> i WANT THIS MESSAGES bedcause I WANT to SEE
>> /dev/sda2: clean, 435608/1310720 files
>
> Now, that you ask, I would say: I don't care. :)
>
> Kay

This is one of those cases where more information isn't actually providing
you with useful data. We should print out errors and warnings, but if
everything is working as it should, then nobody should care, and it should
remain silent.

If you do care, then the right solution is to implement some notification
mechanism that can be added or is optional, and disabled by default.

I'd rather spend my time figuring out how to get fsck issues all the way to
admin users instead... That seems much more useful.

Cheers,

Auke