[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck-root.service without initrd prints ugly message on clean fsck

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Mar 13 09:44:03 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Kok, Auke-jan H
<auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2013, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> so and what are you guys saying if i explain you that
>>> i WANT THIS MESSAGES bedcause I WANT to SEE
>>> /dev/sda2: clean, 435608/1310720 files
>>
>> Now, that you ask, I would say: I don't care. :)

> This is one of those cases where more information isn't actually providing
> you with useful data. We should print out errors and warnings, but if
> everything is working as it should, then nobody should care, and it should
> remain silent.
>
> If you do care, then the right solution is to implement some notification
> mechanism that can be added or is optional, and disabled by default.
>
> I'd rather spend my time figuring out how to get fsck issues all the way to
> admin users instead... That seems much more useful.

Right, as always, it is about sane defaults, and "clean" isn't any
sane default to print, ever.

If wanted, tools can support --verbose and print all their stuff, but
there is no case to clutter the console with nonsense like "clean". We
don't print "OK" for all other tools as well; nobody should see that
noise when all is fine.

Kay