[systemd-devel] Masking systemd-journal-flush and setting journal storage to persistent

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 6 13:39:10 PDT 2013

On Mon, 06.05.13 12:41, Umut Tezduyar (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have masked the systemd-journal-flush.service and set the
> Storage=persistent in journald.conf. Then I have removed the
> /var/log/journal folder. My expectation on next boot was to see the journal
> files in /var/log/journal but they have stayed in /run/log/journal.

systemd-journal-flush.service will tell journald that /var is now
available+writable and that it can now flush all data from /run to
/var. If you mask that then of course nothing will be written to /var,
because things are kept in /run for good.

> According to man journald, it shouldn't be necessary to send the SIGUSR1 as
> systemd-journal-flush.service does. It was my expectation that systemd
> would eventually carry journal to /var/.

The man page is actually incorrect here. We changed that a while back
from the implicit flush to an explicit flush to get rid of some races.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.