[systemd-devel] [systemd-bugs] Russian translation for systemd

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sat Nov 16 08:40:55 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 01:34:26AM +0400, Sergey Ptashnick wrote:
> On 15.11.2013 22:07, Juliette Tux wrote:
> >> Hint2 -- I'm commiting alot, and the moment the new version is out, good
> >> developers usually make an announcement asking for renewed translation. Do
> >> you practice this at systemd?
>
> It's totally my fault. I had to post it in the summer, when Lennart told me
> to do this. I'm sorry.
>
> >> Hint3 -- do your job, do not steal others's job
>
> Collaboration is much better than stealing ;)
>
> But (please don't take offense), you're very superficial about the quality of
> the translation. We, translators, must think about the users who will read this.
> No need to confuse them with such phrases as "локальное имя системы" (instead of
> "имя компьютера"), "часы реального времени" (instead of "аппаратные часы"), etc.
> Before beginning of our work, we need to understand the matter, and avoid
> misinterpretations.
> Also, we must not allow incorrect phrases that are typical for automated
> translation.
>
> I hope these little tips will be helpful and will hurt nobody.

Hi Julia, Sergey, (and Alexander),

once again, thank you for working on the translations, adding them has
been on the TODO list for ever. It's bad that some work was
duplicated, but unfortunately that happens all the time because of the
distributed development. I hope that once the translation goes in,
there'll be less chance of that.

Looking at your translations, I see some advantages to both. E.g.:
 #: ../src/hostname/org.freedesktop.hostname1.policy.in.h:1
 msgid "Set host name"
-msgstr "Настройка имени компьютера"
+msgstr "Настроить имя системы"

>From the comments in this thread, компьютера is better than системы,
but OTOH, I like the active form Настроить better than Настройка. We
should pick the version that will be clearer and more intuitive for
the user. But I don't speak Russian, so I can't really judge this or
other matters. Can one of you prepare a merge of both translations,
picking the best parts?

Thanks,
Zbyszek