[systemd-devel] Thread level resource management

David Timothy Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Mon Nov 25 19:01:00 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
<umut.tezduyar at axis.com> wrote:
> Any plans to support existing applications that are making use of thread level resource management? If not, what are we left with then, posix thread priorities?

Kay is right; there is no direct replacement. However, it's possible
to fork processes on Linux with many of the same properties as threads
(shared memory and file descriptors). Originally, all POSIX-like
(loosely using "like" here) threads used this capability back with
LinuxThreads. Using clone() that way would allow continued use of
cgroups resources.

Or, perhaps it's a good time to consider a more loosely coupled
architecture with multiple processes or daemons.