[systemd-devel] Renaming network interfaces: device or resource busy

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 1 02:33:21 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 01/10/13 01:41 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, 30.09.13 17:42, Thomas Bächler (thomas at archlinux.org) wrote:
>
>> Any application that listens on netlink for new network interfaces may
>> start using the interface before udev has finished processing the uevent.
>>
>> IMO, this needs to be fixed in the kernel and udev, so that udev can
>> have a chance to finish its uevent processing before the interface is
>> announced via netlink. As far as I know, no work in that direction has
>> been done.
>
> No, applications should not pick up network devices before udev
> announced them. They should ignore netlink traffic before
> that. NetworkManager actually gets that right...

Yeah this is a slightly interesting case where our "stage1" can bring
the network up. This system is pretty old and runs without udev or
systemd right now (I do have plans to change it but there are only 24
hours in a day and most of them are already ear-marked!).

Stage 1 can bring the network up to allow for a network install via a
small (<20Mb) boot.iso. Once stage 1 is over, we download and switch to
stage 2 which is when udev is started.

I just need to fiddle around a bit to get the right way of taking down
the network, starting udev, then bringing it back up again. It's not
pretty but I'll figure something out.

Long term, I'd rather stage 1 used systemd+udev but that's probably a
task for another day.

Cheers

Col

--