[systemd-devel] Can apps ship their own copy of libudev?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 25 11:24:57 CEST 2013

On sexta-feira, 25 de outubro de 2013 10:20:46, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:39:49AM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> > Finally, just searching for 'libudev.so.0' on the web shows that we're
> > far from the only ones who ran into problems because of this ...
> > Learning that the differences between libudev.so.0 and libudev.so.1
> > are very minor somewhat helps (we can e.g. dlopen it),
>
> Even if it isn't that "minor" of an issue, the correct thing to do here
> is to dlopen it, as that removes this type of issue completely.  It's
> what a number of other programs have done for years to deal with "core"
> system libraries and is a valid solution for Linux.

That's what we'll do. It's just a sub-optimal solution, compared to direct &
normal linking -- which is something we need to enable for distros to do.

The drawbacks of this solution are:
 - no link-time dependency for packaging tools to detect and create the
   package dependency without intervention
 - sub-optimal resolution and calling (hand-written code worse than linker-
   generated PLT)
 - two separate codepaths for us to maintain
 - need to scan for both libudev.so.0 and libudev.so.1

I understand the long-term need to break binary compatibility. It's just
annoying when it happens...