[systemd-devel] Can apps ship their own copy of libudev?

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 11:36:12 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:24:57AM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 25 de outubro de 2013 10:20:46, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:39:49AM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> > > Finally, just searching for 'libudev.so.0' on the web shows that we're
> > > far from the only ones who ran into problems because of this ...
> > > Learning that the differences between libudev.so.0 and libudev.so.1
> > > are very minor somewhat helps (we can e.g. dlopen it),
> >
> > Even if it isn't that "minor" of an issue, the correct thing to do here
> > is to dlopen it, as that removes this type of issue completely.  It's
> > what a number of other programs have done for years to deal with "core"
> > system libraries and is a valid solution for Linux.
>
> That's what we'll do. It's just a sub-optimal solution, compared to direct &
> normal linking -- which is something we need to enable for distros to do.

Then, as others have stated, be like a distro and use their tools to
build your packages.  OBS can build stuff for every major distro except
Gentoo, so you should have no problem at all to use that.

And that's the "real" solution you should be using here, as that will
resolve issues that you will have if you don't that are bigger than just
the minor udev library issue.

Best of luck,

greg k-h