[systemd-devel] User journal corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 11 10:33:13 PDT 2013

On Mon, 12.08.13 14:58, Pedro Francisco (pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
> Systemd complains frequently about corrupted journal. Do note: I don't
> have the default mount options.
>
> $ dmesg |grep corrupte
> [   51.766346] systemd-journald[181]: File
> /var/log/journal/06fde5edd4974fa9a343215f093f5aae/user-42.journal
> corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing.
>
> $ sudo rpm -qa systemd
> systemd-204-9.fc19.i686
>
> $ cat /proc/mounts
> (...)
> /dev/sda6 / ext4 rw,seclabel,noatime,nobarrier 0 0
> (...)
>
> In addition, I have an issue related to systemd-journald stopping
> logging after a while if there are lots of output, as I mentioned on
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/12373 titled
> "Journald stops logging when lots of output" .
>
> Do you think:
> a) mount options can affect systemd logging and
> b) these two issues (the one on this email about corrupted journal and
> the one on the linked thread about journald crashing when there are
> lots of output) may be related?
>
> Thanks in Advance,

My guess is that for some reason the file systems are not properly
unmounted during shutdown. Can you maybe try to get shutdown logs as
described here?

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1

Are you using LVM or something else weird? Are you using Dracut? Does
the issue go away if you drop nobarrier from your mount options?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.