[systemd-devel] User journal corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:40:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 12.08.13 14:58, Pedro Francisco (pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Systemd complains frequently about corrupted journal. Do note: I don't
>> have the default mount options.
>>
>> $ dmesg |grep corrupte
>> [   51.766346] systemd-journald[181]: File
>> /var/log/journal/06fde5edd4974fa9a343215f093f5aae/user-42.journal
>> corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing.
>>
>> $ sudo rpm -qa systemd
>> systemd-204-9.fc19.i686
>>
>> $ cat /proc/mounts
>> (...)
>> /dev/sda6 / ext4 rw,seclabel,noatime,nobarrier 0 0
>> (...)
>>
>> In addition, I have an issue related to systemd-journald stopping
>> logging after a while if there are lots of output, as I mentioned on
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/12373 titled
>> "Journald stops logging when lots of output" .
>>
>> Do you think:
>> a) mount options can affect systemd logging and
>> b) these two issues (the one on this email about corrupted journal and
>> the one on the linked thread about journald crashing when there are
>> lots of output) may be related?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>
> My guess is that for some reason the file systems are not properly
> unmounted during shutdown. Can you maybe try to get shutdown logs as
> described here?
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1
>
> Are you using LVM or something else weird? Are you using Dracut? Does
> the issue go away if you drop nobarrier from your mount options?

Seems to be fixed on systemd-204-11.fc19.i686 (tried two boots,
changed nothing else).
If it happens again, I'll report back.

Anyway, for the record: no LVM and it was default boot process for
Fedora 19, so I guess I'm using dracut.

Thank you for your time!
--
Pedro