[systemd-devel] .automount from user?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 11 11:44:48 PDT 2013

On Tue, 30.07.13 01:02, rektide at voodoowarez.com (rektide at voodoowarez.com) wrote:

> Hello.  I'm curious, and perhaps maybe lazy: is there any way to do automount units from a user
> systemd instance? I suppose I could write some silly script that collects automount files out of the
> user units directories and validates and accepts them, but it would be stellar if systemd had some
> plan for bestowing my users their ability to use their fuse group membership in a cool rad
> automounting way. Peace love chicken grease- rektide.

This is currently not available to unprivileged processes and is very
unlikely to change, because there are all kinds of interesting ways how
userspace can deadlock the kernel and that's hard to fix. For priviliged
userspace code we can make the best of it and just protect ourselves
from running into these deadlocks, but opening this up to unprivileged
code would open a can of worms.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.