[systemd-devel] Journald stops logging when lots of output

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Sep 27 08:58:13 PDT 2013

On Fri, 27.09.13 09:47, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 26/09/13 19:35 did gyre and gimble:

> >> Though it might hide problems, shouldn't journald be configured to
> >> automatically be restarted by systemd?
> >
> > We do that, but not indefinitely. See
> > StartLimitInterval=/StartLimitBurst= in systemd.service(5).
>
> Quick question, I presume logging is still lost for services stderr/out
> etc. when journald is restarted? Or has this been worked-around these days?

Still doesn't work. I do have an idea now however we could make this
work by using a single AF_UNIX/SOCK_DGRAM socket instead of individual
AF_UNIX/SOCK_STREAM sockets. For services we start it shouldn't matter
if stdout/stderr is SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM really, and if we use
SOCK_DGRAM we even get per-client SCM_CREDENTIALS which would allow us
to properly attribute every single write to the right process which we
currently can't.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.