[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 207

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Sep 13 07:15:06 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 13/09/13 03:16 did gyre and gimble:
>         * The option "discard" (as known from Debian) is now
>           synonymous to "allow-discards" in /etc/crypttab. In fact,
>           the latter is preferred now (since it is easier to remember
>           and type).

I think you mean the "*former* is preferred now"? (I cannot see how
"allow-discards" is easier to type than "discard" ;)

>         * The systemd-sysctl tool no longer natively reads the
>           file /etc/sysctl.conf. If desired, the file should be
>           symlinked from /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf. Apart from
>           providing legacy support by a symlink rather than built-in
>           code, it also makes the otherwise hidden order of application
>           of the different files visible.

It's also worth noting here that sysctl.d files are processed
differently now.

Up to and including v197 (or fabe5c0e5fce730aa66e10a9c4f9fdd443d7aeda),
sysctl.d files had to be named higher than the 50-default.conf file to
override something. e.g. if you wanted to override "kernel.sysrq = 16"
then you needed to put it in a file named 51-i-know-better.conf in the
appropriate location.

>From v198+ the order changed, and you had to name the file *lower* than
50-default.conf, e.g. 49-i-know-better.conf.

Now from v207 onwards the ordering has reverted back to the v197 logic
(which I agree feels more natural).

If you have distro tools and/or have deployed updates which adapted to
this change in behaviour, you should undo those changes with this release.

It may make sense to update the NEWS file in git to include a note about
this (albeit very minor) "API" breakage (although the v198 NEWS didn't
mention it's change in behaviour so perhaps it's fine to leave it out!).

All the best

Col

--

Colin Guthrie