[systemd-devel] kernel-install questions

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 25 12:50:27 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Marc-Antoine Perennou at 25/09/13 16:26 did gyre and
gimble:
> On 26 September 2013 00:20, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, no problems here:
>>> # cp --preserve /etc/hostname /boot; echo $?
>>> 0
>>>
>>> # rpm -q coreutils
>>> coreutils-8.21-11.fc19.x86_64
>>
>> Hm, interesting. I'll figure out what's going wrong here.
>>

> FYI, here it fails with my kernel compiled as standards user and
> kernel-install ran as root.
> If I first copy the ekrnel as root and then kernel-install my
> root-owned copy, it works.

Yup, same here:
[root at jimmy ~]# cp --preserve /etc/hostname /boot; echo $?
0
[root at jimmy ~]# cp --preserve /home/colin/.bashrc /boot/test; echo $?
cp: failed to preserve ownership for ‘/boot/test’: Operation not permitted
1

So it only works if the source file is already owned by root.

(coreutils 8.21 also)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie