[systemd-devel] Renaming network interfaces: device or resource busy

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 30 17:39:46 PDT 2013

On Mon, 30.09.13 16:14, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just trying to debug the problem mentioned in the subject. I'm wanting
> to use the new device names in stage 2 of our installer (some closing
> config routines write the interface name into some conf files etc), but
> when udev rules kick in, the device is already up and in use... is there
> any way to work out what is using it and preventing the rename?

Hmm, what software do you use that configures the network interfaces?

Software really needs to be fixed to ignore devices that have not been
reported as initialized by udev. They are welcome to watch netlink but
never exclusively, they must ignore netlink traffic for devices that
have not been configured with udev yet.

The renaming of the iface is blocked by by the iface being up, that's
all. If you figure out which software is responsible for upping the
iface, you know your culprit.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.