[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd and After=network.target

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed Apr 2 03:00:07 PDT 2014

Hi Ivan,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Ivan Shapovalov <intelfx100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've noticed that systemd-networkd.service (ordered Before=network.target) finishes its startup before the connection is established/failed. Because of this, some networking daemons ordered After=network.target (like openvpn) are prone to failures when they attempt to connect at startup.

Please take a look at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/. It is
explained there what network.target actually does.
What you are expecting is a phase where interfaces up and configured.
There has been some work coming up for this,
020d59000f86b3d98be763eaee6a2671f0427e46.

Thanks,
Umut