[systemd-devel] pci.ids confusion

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 06:58:19 PDT 2014

Hi list

This is a followup of a chat on #systemd. The pciids-devel list is
dead and someone recommended I post here instead.
While browsing some debug logs, I came accross a confusing message:
"systemd[1]: Found device M4A785TD Motherboard". I was even more
confused since I don't actually have a M4A785TD but a P7P55D-E DELUXE.
Turns out this is one of my two ethernet adapters. Specifically, in
hwdata/pci.ids, "1019 8168  RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
controller".
Out of curiousity I started digging in the pci.ids file (10ec  Realtek
Semiconductor Co., Ltd. around line 9120). I'm trying to understand
the format but it's looking like motherboards are a subsystem of their
own ethernet adapter. This is further confirmed with lspci:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M4A785TD Motherboard

I'd love to submit a fix but this is very counter-intuitive. Can
anyone shed some light on it?

J. Leclanche