[systemd-devel] Revisiting the "ExecRestart" issue

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:01:31 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> UDP is lossy anyway, and a startup delay of a few seconds shouldn't be
> an issue at all. If we are speaking of 15min or so here, that might be a
> problem, but otherwise this really sounds fine. And if your daemon
> really takes 15min this sounds like something to look into...

 There are many values between a few seconds and 15 minutes that are both
(a) reasonable startup times given the user's large configuration and (b)
undesirable downtime for a critical service like DNS.

> At this point in time I am quite sure that ExecReload= should simply be
> used for this.

That's an acceptable answer, although I think in the long term it poses
some questions about additional custom verbs, since at least gdnsd now
really wants two different reload-like actions (a simple SIGHUP that
reloads zone data vs the overlapped-restart under discussion here).  But
for now, the easy case (SIGHUP) can just be done outside of
systemd/systemctl without any ill effects.

-- Brandon