[systemd-devel] Revisiting the "ExecRestart" issue

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 23 23:16:32 PDT 2014

On Wed, 23.04.14 21:01, Brandon Black (blblack at gmail.com) wrote:

> > At this point in time I am quite sure that ExecReload= should simply be
> > used for this.
>
> That's an acceptable answer, although I think in the long term it poses
> some questions about additional custom verbs, since at least gdnsd now
> really wants two different reload-like actions (a simple SIGHUP that
> reloads zone data vs the overlapped-restart under discussion here).  But
> for now, the easy case (SIGHUP) can just be done outside of
> systemd/systemctl without any ill effects.

Yeah, I am not convinced that custom verbs are something to support in
systemd. They are not generic, and systemd/systemctl should really just
cover the generic verbs. I mean, as soon as you do generic verbs you
probably also want to extend them with extra modifiying switches and so
on. But that all is probably better done in some specific, auxiliary
tool shipped along with the package.

I mean, there's really no point in abstracting something within the
systemd/systemctl context that is inherently not abstractable, if you
follow what I mean.

SMF allowed extending services with custom verbs. I don't think that
that was one of their better design decisions...