[systemd-devel] right way to log to rsyslog/syslog only?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:32:59 PDT 2014

On Aug 7, 2014 9:11 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arguably one of journals major/only shortcoming compared to what's out
there is it's lack the ability to send syslog messages over the syslog
network protocol but I think it's just a matter of time until it does,
since it's arguably unavoidable ( think for example containers here and I
would be amazed if submitted patches would be rejected that would add that )

Yes, it has been mentioned a couple of times that dealing with the various
syslog protocols is the job of a syslogd, not the journal.

(That said, there already are some tools to push raw journal messages over
the network...)

> But I guess you can hack yourself around that shortcoming by turning off
persistent storage ( that is if you dont want to store logs as well on the
host ) and run something like

> journalctl  -o short -f  | nc <ip> -u 514 -w 1
>
> that avoids the problem having two "loggers" running on the same host  (
like using syslog-ng or rsyslog alongside journal ) to solve that
particular problem.

I don't understand why running two programs that provide distinct functions
is called a problem.

I also don't understand why running *three* programs (journald, journalctl,
netcat) that only do a halfassed job compared to rsyslog *isn't* a problem
anymore...

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
// sent from phone