[systemd-devel] right way to log to rsyslog/syslog only?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:07:21 PDT 2014

On 08/07/2014 07:32 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2014 9:11 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com
> <mailto:johannbg at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Arguably one of journals major/only shortcoming compared to what's
> out there is it's lack the ability to send syslog messages over the
> syslog network protocol but I think it's just a matter of time until
> it does, since it's arguably unavoidable ( think for example
> containers here and I would be amazed if submitted patches would be
> rejected that would add that )
>
> Yes, it has been mentioned a couple of times that dealing with the
> various syslog protocols is the job of a syslogd, not the journal.
>
> (That said, there already are some tools to push raw journal messages
> over the network...)

Raw journals or journal only solution is not acceptable in large
environment using mixed OS and or even just mixed Linux distributions
and their releases ( think debian stable and centos7 for example )  so
it's necessary for journal to be able to "forward" the logs over the
syslog network protocol

> > But I guess you can hack yourself around that shortcoming by turning
> off persistent storage ( that is if you dont want to store logs as
> well on the host ) and run something like
> >
> > journalctl  -o short -f  | nc <ip> -u 514 -w 1
> >
> > that avoids the problem having two "loggers" running on the same
> host  ( like using syslog-ng or rsyslog alongside journal ) to solve
> that particular problem.
>
> I don't understand why running two programs that provide distinct
> functions is called a problem.

Host resources

> I also don't understand why running *three* programs (journald,
> journalctl, netcat) that only do a halfassed job compared to rsyslog
> *isn't* a problem anymore...

You do realize what I proposed was a workaround right?

JBG