[systemd-devel] Offline systemd unit file installer

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 11 03:47:23 PDT 2014

On Sat, 09.08.14 06:44, Paassen, Hiram van (Hiram.van.Paassen at mastervolt.com) wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking this only works on systemd enabled host
> systems or if you cross-compile for the same architecture? So you can
> use the just compiled version of systemctl?

Well, what do you expect? I mean, you want to run the tool offline, so
you need to be able to run it on the machine you want to run it offline
on...

> Neither of which is the case for us...

> Am I expected to compile systemd twice in that case, one time as part
> of the host 'toolchain' and a second for the actual target?  I was
> rather hoping for something portable like a shell or python script.

systemd is written in C. Sorry.

Note that there's no need to the systemctl version to be in sync of the
image you are putting together and the OS you build it on. The code in
systemctl has been stable since quite a while now. Most distributions
should include it, unless you run Slackware or so. But systemd upstream
is really not the place to work around your weird choice of distro to
build systemd images from...

That said, "systemctl enable" just creates a couple of symlinks in
/etc/systemd/system, you can easily do the equivalent in a handwritten
shell script.