[systemd-devel] Random session bus availability with systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 11 07:21:16 PDT 2014

On Fri, 08.08.14 10:44, tomw (tomw at ubilix.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> migrating from sysV to systemd I ran into some issues with random
> behavior of session bus availability. The setup is as follows:
>
> systemd starts a service which starts an x-session like this:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Master Process
> After=systemd-user-sessions.service systemd-udedvd.service dbus.service
>
> [Service]
> User=xyzuser
> Environment=DISPLAY=:0.0
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/sudo -b -u xyzuser -i /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/master
> Type=forking

This looks weird. You first become user "xyzuser", then you run sudo
again, to become "xyzuser"? What's that supposed to do? Why involve
"sudo" here at all? You could also use PAMName= directly...?

Note that systemd this way is not involved in starting the dbus session
bus, that is supposed to be done by your script "/usr/bin/master"?