[systemd-devel] User sessions: limit the ability to migrate cgroups

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 13 07:37:17 PDT 2014

On Thu, 07.08.14 15:19, Alban Crequy (alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Should unprivileged processes be allowed to change cgroup?

Well, they shouldn#t do it. But I think it's OK as long as this is only
done within the specific user's hierarchies.

> As I understand it, it is not possible to block processes to
> leave a cgroup, but only to block processes to enter a cgroup.

Correct.

> In the following example, session-c4.scope/tasks belongs to root:root
> with -rw-r--r-- and user at 1000.service/tasks belongs to user:user with
> -rw-r--r--.

Yes, this is because systemd --user needs to be able to manage its own
cgroup subtree, so we have to open this up for the user at 1000.service
service, but keep it restricted otherwise...

> So processes can freely move from session-c4.scope to
> user at 1000.service. But not in the other direction.

Correct.

> $ systemd-cgls
> Working Directory /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user.slice/user-1000.slice:
> ├─session-c4.scope
> │ ├─713 sshd: user [priv]
> │ ├─722 sshd: user at pts/2
> │ ├─723 -bash
> │ ├─732 systemd-cgls
> │ └─733 pager
> ├─user at 1000.service
> │ ├─406 /lib/systemd/systemd --user
>
> With user sessions managed by systemd, will it be possible to restrict
> unprivileged users from migrating to other cgroups?

Unlikely. Access control on Unix is generally bound to user IDs, not
processes, and we really shouldn't start here with departing from that...