[systemd-devel] Missing forked processes in 'systemctl status'

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 13 10:02:37 PDT 2014

On Wed, 13.08.14 12:56, Leonid Isaev (lisaev at umail.iu.edu) wrote:

> > If processes stay around Type=oneshot is wrong really. Type=forking is
> > more appropriate then.
>
> Hmm. That's a good point...
>
> I'll ask about this, but my (limited) understanding of the reasoning for this
> choice is that network script does not always fork a process. For example,
> setting up a macvlan does not require a daemon to hang around.

Hmm, there's currently no nice scheme really for services that may or
may not fork. Maybe Type=oneshot+RemainAfterExit=yes is after all the
better choice there...

Hmm, you use KillMode=none, why that?

> This still doesn't explain why systemctl misses the cgroup information...

Yeah, this is a bit weird. It should not drop the cgroup path unless the
unit is really dead. there's probably a bug there.

do you know if a "systemctl daemon-reload" (or equivalent was done) that
might have resulted in systemd forgetting the path for one of the units?