[systemd-devel] systemd build dependency on dbus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 20 15:27:21 PDT 2014

On Wed, 20.08.14 11:45, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering about systemd's build dependency on dbus... I see that
> the configure script checks for dbus, but the exported variables are
> rarely used.
>
> For instance, HAVE_DBUS is defined but only used in test case test-bus-marshal.
>
> None of the binaries (other than test case test-bus-marshal) are
> linked against libdbus-1.so.
>
> Is dbus really needed to build systemd?
>
> Is this part of the transition from dbus to kdbus?

Well, we have our own dbus library implementation since a while
("sd-bus") that supports both dbus1 and kdbus as transport. We only link
against libdbus1 in a test to validate our marshalling against the dbus1
one.

We need dbus1 at runtime though, unless you run kdbus. Hence we never
bothered to remove this dependency or make it optional. But we probably
should make it optional.