[systemd-devel] systemd build dependency on dbus

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Mon Aug 25 21:58:49 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Well, we have our own dbus library implementation since a while
> ("sd-bus") that supports both dbus1 and kdbus as transport. We only link
> against libdbus1 in a test to validate our marshalling against the dbus1
> one.

That's interesting.

Indeed it would be good to clarify that libdbus is not required at
build time (except for the test case, and maybe it can be made
optional or dynamic loaded in that one?) There seems to be other
configurations that are pulled from dbus, like the dbuspolicydir,
dbussessionservicedir, etc.

I mean that because there are still many pages that list systemd and
dbus as a circular dependency, for example:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Installation

And it looks like that's no longer the case...

Cheers,
Filipe