[systemd-devel] loginctl - multi-seats

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 25 10:09:25 PDT 2014

On Sat, 23.08.14 15:10, arnaud gaboury (arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com) wrote:

> Archlinux 3.16.1
> systemd 215-4
> Xorg 1.16
>

> Until now, I have been enable to set a dual seat following the
> archwiki[1]. In short, I had to modify the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> accordingly, then $ startx -- layout seat0 -config
> xorg.conf.multiseat.
>
> I am now trying to migrate to the new facilities for multiseats from
> loginctl[2] and Xorg 1.16 with rootless X[3]. Documentation is very
> rare, and I find it difficult to set up the global scheme.
>
> I understand from loginctl(1) I have to first create 1 new seat with
> loginctl using 1 existing graphic device:
> $ attach seat1 /sys/bus/pci/device/0000:00:01.0@ (my graphic card as
> listed by $lspci).
>
> Then, I will attach a usb keyboard & mouse the same way, right ?
>
> Now, as for the monitor & session layout, i have no idea how to deal
> with it and the global /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Same as before or is there
> now a more specific way?
>
> Then, once I have created seat1, I am left with two seats : seat0 and
> seat1. I understand I have to
> bind a user session login to a specific seat, right ? Concretely, how do it ?
>
> Thank you for any hint/pointer/suggestion about the path to follow.

Note that the multi-seat stuff is about assigning kernel devices to
seats. Drivers that do not follow the kernel driver model and DRM are
hence not really supported (such as the nvidia driver), and if you want
to "split" a single gfx card into two seats, then we can't cover this
either.

For the first issue please use the open source nvidia driver, or work
with nvidia, to get them to open up the closed source one.

For the second issue, please work with the driver authors, to possibly
allow turning one graphics card into two DRM devices, so that we can
individually assign them to different things.