[systemd-devel] Is it possible to override dependencies (without resorting to editing files in /lib)

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Aug 27 04:19:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 07:51:17AM +0100, Alastair Scobie wrote:
> Apologies if this isn't the appropriate mailing list to raise this question.
>
> Is there any way to override dependencies without resorting to
> editing files in /lib?
>
> For example, with a stock EL7.0 machine, getty.target is "wanted" by
> multi-user.target through configuration in /lib/systemd. I'd like to
> remove that dependency because I want getty.target to be be "wanted"
> by another target (which will be the default target and itself wants
> multi-user.target). Whilst there is a way to "mask" a unit by
> linking to /dev/null in /etc, there doesn't appear to be a similar
> way to "mask" a "wants" dependency.
Hi,

no, there's no way to mask a specific dependency in this
case. getty.target is statically enabled by a link shipped by systemd
itself, and is not configurable.

But units often belong to multiple targets. If you describe what effect
you're trying to achieve, we might be able to describe a different way.

Zbyszek