[systemd-devel] [k]dbus: api, match replace and test extending

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 1 18:02:17 PST 2014

On Mon, 17.11.14 12:31, Rui Miguel Silva (rmfrfs at gmail.com) wrote:

Heya,

> > >      - technical debt, if in the future the filter mechanism is change by
> > >        other than bloom.
> > > so bloom maybe just be replaced with only generic filter could make more
> > > sense?
> >
> > What do you mean by "only generic filter"?
> >
> Maybe I did not explain myself well, what I mean is:
> Imagine that ahead we find that instead of bloom filtering mechanism, for
> example, cuckoo filters are more eficient. The api have the filter
> structs called struct kdbus_bloom_filter, my suggestion was to just change
> that to struct kdbus_filter (and no attach to filter specific
> implementation). Since they are very generic (generation and a data field)
> and for the kdbus it is just a check between a mask and a filter.

I had a closer look at cuckoo filters now. The lookup logic is quite
different from bloom filters and involves iterating through "entries"
of a bucket. Now, I am not convinced that Cuckoo filters are really
something we want to do in kdbus, but should we determine one day that
they in fact are, then the kernel side matching of filter against mask
needs to look very different anyway, with different data
structures. And in that case we really should define new items for
that, that should not overload the existing kdbus_bloom_filter
structures but be seperate, new structs.

Hope this makes sense,