[systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd DHCP Server DNS integration?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 3 11:14:11 PST 2014

On Tue, 18.11.14 12:39, Tom Gundersen (teg at jklm.no) wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:30 AM, William Wilhelm <will at wilhelm.com.au> wrote:
> > I'm building a router and have been experimenting with DHCPServer=yes for
> > the LAN side of things. It's been working well.
> > I ask if there is any integration between the networkd DHCP server and
> > systemd-resolved? When the server hands out an address does it register a
> > hosts entry for the client's hostname with resolved?
>
> It does not. I'd be open to exposing the handed out leases through the
> sd-network library, which then resolved could pick up (so patches
> welcome!). But maybe Lennart should comment on the resolved part
> first.

Yes, I'd like some kind of integration of NSS and networkd's dhcp
server. But I don't think resolved should be involved. Instead, we
should add another NSS module that queries the DHCP lease database via
dbus, similar to how nss-resolve talks to resolved or nss-mymachines
talks to machined. Of course, we can make that happen only when
networkd gets a bus interface, which is not before kdbus, because it
needs to run in early boot where dbus1 is not available...