[systemd-devel] SIT tunnel does not work

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sun Dec 7 04:36:38 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 04:01:40PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I just made some changes to
> the sit handling, and at least for me it works now. This is the config
> I'm currently using:
>
> he.netdev ---8<-----------------------------------------
>
> [NetDev]
> Name=he
> Kind=sit
>
> [Tunnel]
> Remote=222.333.444.555
> TTL=255
>
> ---8<-----------------------------------------
>

> (you probably don't need the source routing stuff, but that's what I
> was testing).
>
> Do you still see problems with this on your end with current git?

  Hi Tom,

  I got it working with systemd-216-7.fc21.x86_64 and configuration very
similar to what you have provided.  I only have additional Local=… setting in
[Tunnel] section of he.netdev.

  It works, but configuration is counter-intuitive for me.  The need to
put Tunnel=… in physical device (wlp3s0) configuration file is perplexing.
First, iproute2 does not require physical device when configuring SIT
tunnels.
Second, I had to enter IP address twice - first for the physical device,
second time for Local= in tunnel config.  It's kinda redundant, but I
see you have no Local= settings, so maybe the redundancy was fixed.
And third, I was expecting ”he” device to be top-level, independent
device just like ”wlp3s0” is.  Right now the Tunnel= keyword makes
it dependant on physical device, which is more limiting and contrary
to what iproute2 made me used to in the past 15 years.

--
Tomasz Torcz                        To co nierealne -- tutaj jest normalne.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl          Ziomale na życie mają tu patenty specjalne.