[systemd-devel] Installing user unit files.

Rüdiger Sonderfeld ruediger at c-plusplus.de
Mon Dec 8 11:45:42 PST 2014

On Monday 08 December 2014 19:46:18 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> I think something which hints that this provides a shared instance
> of emacs would be better than this generic blurb.
> Maybe say something like 'Emacs in shared mode' or something. Also
> keep in mind that this string is used in 'Starting %s...', 'Started %s.'
> messages, so there should not be a dot a the end, and it really should
> be a single phrase.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I'll pick 'Emacs in daemon mode' or 'Emacs
in server mode'.

> Would it be possible to make emacs socket-activated? This would be
> a nice optimization, and the daemon could be configured to start
> lazily, on first connection.

It should be possible.  But I don't think it's necessarily what most Emacs
users want or expect.  Maybe it could be added in a future addition or both
ways could be added, so the users can choose.  The current service file is
based on the various service files for Emacs I've seen floating around
(Emacswiki, Arch, wish-list reports).

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,
Rüdiger