[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v218

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 12 06:25:50 PST 2014

Lennart Poettering wrote on 11/12/14 00:16:
>         * All systemd programs that read standalone configuration
>           files in /etc now also support a corresponding series of
>           .conf.d configuration directories in /etc/, /run/,
>           /usr/local/lib/, /usr/lib/, and (if configured with
>           --enable-split-usr) /lib/.  In particular, the following
>           configuration files now have corresponding configuration
>           directories: system.conf user.conf, logind.conf,
>           journald.conf, sleep.conf, bootchart.conf, coredump.conf,
>           resolved.conf, timesyncd.conf, journal-remote.conf, and
>           journal-upload.conf.  Note that distributions should use the
>           configuration directories in /usr/lib/; the directories in
>           /etc/ are reserved for the system administrator.

Hmmm, at what point is /usr/local/lib/systemd/journald.conf.d/foo.conf read?

Does the journal start only after all local filesystems are mounted, I
don't see anything that ensures this in the .service or .socket files
for it (same applies to other tools, but journal is probably most at
risk because it's started early with DefaultDependencies=no)

It feels very, very odd that /usr/local is being parsed at all here when
the --prefix arg does not include it. I mean this kinda conflicts with
users doing their own compiles with --prefix=/usr/local and installing
stuff there... If the were experimenting, but ultimately didn't want to
use it, it seems odd to me that the actual packaged version of system
would read these files.

What's the argument for including /usr/local in all this stuff? Feels
wrong to me.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie