[systemd-devel] Improving module loading

Lucas De Marchi lucas.de.marchi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 03:58:10 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Alison Chaiken <alison at she-devel.com> wrote:
> Tom Gundersen:
> [ . . . ]
>
> On my Debian Testing system, I see fuse, loop, lp, ppdev and
> parport_pc.   The last 3 are related to printing, and presumably must
> be preloaded because some printers will not usefully identify
> themselves when powered on.   Giving unsophisticated users access to a
> wide variety of hotplugged devices is undoubtedly the main reasons
> distros want to use systemd-modules-load.

fuse and loop are the perfect examples of modules that should not be
in modules-load.d. Take a look in the output of 'kmod static-nodes'.
All these dead nodes will be created by systemd during startup, but
the module will only be loaded by the kernel when some one actually
try to use them.

$ ls /dev/loop-control
/dev/loop-control
$ lsmod | grep loop