[systemd-devel] /run needs to be mounted? ugh.

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Feb 11 08:15:16 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 05:09:49PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> > systemd is already capable of setting up /run on its own:
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/core/mount-setup.c#n69
>
> You appear to be right.
>
> In that case should the spec [1] be amended to remove this requirement?
>
> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InitrdInterface/

I don't think there's any change needed here. The interface states:

  "The initrd should mount /run as a tmpfs".

Consider the definition of "should" from RFC2119

  SHOULD: This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
  carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

And sure enough, this isn't a requirement, but there's many valid
reasons to do this.