[systemd-devel] /run needs to be mounted? ugh.

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Feb 11 08:20:15 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> I don't think there's any change needed here. The interface states:
>
>   "The initrd should mount /run as a tmpfs".

> And sure enough, this isn't a requirement, but there's many valid
> reasons to do this.

Ahh, okay. I suppose what I'm wondering is what the advantages are to
mounting /run (if the remaining interfaces in the list aren't used)?
It looks like mounting /run occurs pretty soon in core/main.c. Could
it be that the only advantages of mounting /run early on are for using
the more advanced systemd initrd interfaces, such as giving control
back during shutdown? Or are there benefits in doing this even for the
most minimal of initrd?