[systemd-devel] statically linking systemd-socket-proxyd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 27 15:24:21 PST 2014

On Thu, 27.02.14 15:35, Vincent Batts (vbatts at redhat.com) wrote:

> I see that despite --enable-static listed as a ./configure flag, it is
> not supported. Can we get a Makefile target for compiling the
> systemd-socket-proxyd as statically linked? For it to be portable for
> any guest container.

As Cristian said, static linking is really a false holy grail...

That said, the tool has exactly zero deps besides glibc. (where glibc in
this definition consists of libpthread, librt, libc). Hence, when it
comes to portability it gets pretty much as close to portability to
various systems as it can get. Linux systems might vary greatly in the
libraries they offer or have installed, but a glibc they all should
have....