[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd Oops

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 14 06:10:59 PST 2014

Am 14.01.2014 15:03, schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
> El 14/01/14 09:52, Mark Hounschell escribió:
>
>> Well, the systemd/udev README file from 208-15.1:
>
> yeah, one thing is what systemd upstream requires and a completely different one is what openSUSE can/will support
> or allow.
>
> It is not just systemd really,  other applications or libraries may require particular features only found in a
> kernel of either the same major version or something close.. let's say.. openSUSE 13.1 has 3.11 , some app might
> require 3.10 or 3.9, things might start to very subtle fail, particularly if error handling is shaky or we might
> sneak-in distribution or OS specific patches that just assume you run the product's  minimal kernel version "or
> later"

which application should this be?
please state a real-world example - the Kernel usually does not break userland

Fedora 18 as example was released with Kernel 3.6 and is now at EOL on 3.11.10

Fedora 17 as example was released with Kernel 3.3 and at EOL had 3.9.10
you can even use the 3.11.10-100.fc18.x86_64 on F17 in case you have
a dying platform on a machine and want at least kernel fixes