[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd Oops

Mark Hounschell markh at compro.net
Tue Jan 14 07:17:36 PST 2014

On 01/13/2014 05:00 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 01:59:39PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>> That really sounds like a driver problem, especially given your trace
>> shows it is failing somewhere.  The udevd PID is probably because udev
>> loaded your driver.
>
> Sorry, not loading it, but rather reading sysfs files that your driver
> is creating.
>
> As your driver isn't a closed source one, have a pointer to the source
> anywhere that we can see what you are doing in your sysfs callbacks?
>
> thanks,

Hi Greg, you have already been given the sources for this driver (and 3
others) and supposedly it is in progress of being merged by your
linux-dev group (Lidza Louina). Of the four Digi drivers we provided to
you, this one (digixp) has had no attention as of yet that I am aware
of. I've sort of gotten discouraged at the progress of getting these
drivers merged, but I'm staying optimistic.

Again, as I stated in the original post, I don't understand the
specifics of the kernel/udev/systemd relationship. But as for what this
driver has done and appears to be doing at the time of the Oops seems
pretty straight forward. The driver does a pci_register_driver(driver)
then loads the firmware and boots the card. After the load/boot process,
which is what it's doing when the Oops occurs, all the device entries
(192 per board) are created. And again this load/boot process takes a
lot of time. I personally think that time is what is causing the problem.

If I prevent the driver from loading during the system boot process and
manually load it after the box comes up, all is good. If I have only a
single card installed, all is good. If I have 2 cards installed
sometimes it works and some times it does not. The more cards installed,
the longer it takes for the driver to complete the process. Sometimes
with 3 cards installed, instead of the Oops, I get a systemd/udev
timeout message and that task is just killed by systemd.

I guess I need to better understand this kernel/udev/systemd
relationship. Is there a "kernel/udev/systemd for dummies" somewhere??

FYI, I understand what all is being said about this kernel version and
SuSE-13.1. I'm not asking SuSE for any sort of support. However I do not
think this has anything to do with this problem.

Regards
Mark