[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] 7 commits - man/systemd-networkd.service.xml src/libsystemd src/network src/systemd units/systemd-networkd.service.in

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Fri Jan 17 08:57:20 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 05:34:45PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> Systemd should not create /etc/resolv.conf. The entire concept of
>> it is too broken to be supported by systemd.
>>
>> We should only provide a hidden and private copy in /run, which the
>> *admin* can use as long as it's still needed.
> Well, I know that /etc/resov.conf is deficient, but we have no replacement
> right now, and without a resolv.conf, a network connection is rather useless.
> In general various systemd components work "out of the box" where
> reasonable. It would be much nicer to be able to do 'rm /etc/resolv.conf &&
> systemctl start systemd-networkd' to get a working network.
> Even systemd-nspawn does this, I don't see why systemd-networkd shouldn't.

Simple reason is that it is too broken to be maintained by systemd
tools. We also do not ship any default network config, networkd is
just dead by default.

We should not even start touching /etc/resolv.conf, we would break it
later anyway, and should avoid all that right from the beginning.

It is not a reasonable technology to carry on or support like
/etc/fstab. /etc/resolv.conf should entirely be admin territory like
/etc/hosts, and will win over all other settings. No tool should
mangle it, especially when it's not there.

It is actually the goal to get rid of it, not to create it.

Kay