[systemd-devel] Removed Requires=dbus.socket dependency

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 17 10:16:09 PST 2014

On Fri, 17.01.14 14:12, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut.tezduyar at axis.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ca76186598c56 (Jan 7) has removed the ability to stop all dbus
> services at once by executing "systemctl stop dbus.socket". If that is
> intentional I can live with it but then we also need to change the man
> systemd.service and systemd.special as they still mention the
> dependency to dbus.socket.

dbus.socket is really just about the socket, nothing else. It's not
supposed to be used as a target unit really.

The thing is that dbus.socket doesn't make much sense anymore for
processes that connect via kdbus, which is why we removed it. Moreover
for systems that use dbus-daemon instead of kdbus it's kinda pointless
too, because for early-boot services dbus is simply not available on
such systems, and depending on the socket unit won't change that and for
normal non-early-boot services the dependency is implicitly there via
basic.target (which depends on sockets.target)...

So yupp, this is an intended change. I added to the TODO list, that
we'll update the man page accordingly. Thanks for the pointer!