[systemd-devel] Users and system namespaces

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 13:31:52 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 13:21:30 -0800, David Timothy Strauss wrote:
> I think the intention for your needs (a lot of namespace sharing for a
> family of services) would be to run another systemd in a namespece
> using something like systemd-nspawn, libvirt-lxc, LXC, a user session,
> or similar. Basically, a systemd instance would run in the namespace
> itself. Is that a problem?

I'm sure that'd work, but that's hoops that I think might be able to be
avoided here.

Right now to VPN, I open a root shell, run "openvpn --config vpn.conf"
and ^C it when I'm done. The downside is that it makes *all* of my
traffic go over the VPN. My idea is to just shove a tmux server into a
network namespace with *just* the VPN and launch things from there as
needed (browsers, shells, SSH, etc.).

Being able to do this in a single user sessions would be nice without
having to make another user/seat which I then do X forwarding to get
into my main session (or start doing xauth madness to be able to just
set DISPLAY).

--Ben