[systemd-devel] Cannot see the whole picture

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 27 03:08:03 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Roelof Wobben at 26/01/14 09:16 did gyre and gimble:
> Second part I m struggeling with is how I can take care that this is one
> of the first part of the booting.
> And this part must be alone and cannot be in parralel with other parts
> because they all depend on this step.
>
> Can someone help me to see the whole picture ?

Replied on your other thread, but doing so here for the sake of
completeness.

You will likely want to set everything up within the initrd and then
transition over to the real PID1 after all your modules and unions etc.
are configured.

If you're not already doing so, I'd strongly recommend using dracut to
build your initrd.

We (in Mageia) use a custom dracut module to do our setup. It's quite
simple. Upstream dracut does also have modules for live media but I've
not yet had time to consolidate our version with the upstream one (it's
on an ever expanding TODO list). Long term goal is certainly to not
require any specific downstream patches to dracut.

Our module is here. It shows us doing the initial moutn of the
filesystem (which is squashfs) and using overlayfs in combination with
tmpfs to make it "writable". This sounds similar to what you are trying
to achieve.

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/dracut/current/SOURCES/0513-mgalive-A-module-to-mount-Mageia-Live-media.patch?view=markup

Hope it helps

Col